What is a gummy smile and how is it surgically repaired?
The presence of excess gum tissue or a high lip line results in the appearance of short teeth and a gummy smile which can be surgically repaired by
- Gum contouring
- Gingivectomy – to remove excess gum tissue that has grown on and around the teeth
- Crown lengthening surgery – to reveal more of the natural teeth
- Hypermobile Lip Surgery – for high lip line
How is the procedure done?
- GUM CONTOURING
- The excess gum tissue is excised surgically or by using a laser (Gingivectomy )or
- Excess gum as well as bone tissue is reshaped to expose more of the natural teeth (Crown lengthening surgery)
- A temporary puttylike substance is then placed over the gum line to protect the gums while they heal
- HYPERMOBILE LIP SURGERY
- The gum tissue under the lip is reattached at a level that is closer to the teeth, thus limiting excessive upward movement of the lip in patients with high lip line.
Dr. Zainal Hamid
MBBS, FRCP, MRCP (UK)