Why is a tracheal shave done?
Tracheal shave is a cosmetic surgical procedure for transsexuals where the cartilage in the throat is contoured to a flatter level in order to give a feminine look.
How is a tracheal shave done?
- A horizontal incision is made on the upper crease of the neck skin below the chin area.
- The muscles are separated to expose the thyroid cartilage which is reduced by
- carving it with a knife or
- using a bone cutting instrument in case of calcified cartilage
- All bleeding points are checked and stopped and the incision is sutured and bandaged
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
Dr. Ahmad Ridzwan
MBBS, FRCS (Edin), FRCS (Glasg), FAMM, FACS, FICS